Not everyone realises that many of the base types in .NET have their own shared (or static for C#ers) methods which you can use as utility functions.
For example, the Char class has some very useful ones, including…
- IsControl (is the parameter a control character)
- IsDigit (I think this is numeric, or decimal point and possibly minus sign)
- IsLower (lower case – small letters as opposed to capitals)
- IsSeparator (I think this is punctuation or whitespace – stuff that isn’t part of a word)
- IsSymbol (dingbats style stuff I think)
- IsUpper (capitals)
- IsWhitespace (space, tabs, non-breaking (nbsp) etc)
These are fairly easy to call – if you have a Char variable called “c”, you just do eg.
If Char.IsWhitespace(c) Then MsgBox(“Is whitespace”)