Posts Tagged ‘Error’

Office automation doesn’t work between different users – gives error Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {0006F03A-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} failed due to the following error: 80080005.

Thursday, August 26th, 2010

Yesterday, I was using an existing program on a new Windows 7 computer and when it was trying to send an email through Outlook, I was receiving the following error

Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {0006F03A-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} failed due to the following error: 80080005.

I tried it on my development machine (also Windows 7), and found that it worked fine.  Then I noticed that if I didn’t have Outlook loaded before trying to send the email, it seemed to work.  I realised that I was running my program as Administrator to temporarily work around some permissions problems, and that when Outlook was loaded normally, it was running as the normal logged in user.  I tried loading Outlook as Administrator and it worked fine, so I sorted out the permissions problem and turned off “run as Administrator” in the compatibility section of the program’s shortcut properties.  It still worked fine.  It looks like COM can’t operate between different users, which I suppose makes sense.

There may be other problems that can cause this same exception though – a quick search gave me a few other possible problems and solutions.

Error when using SQL Management Studio 2008 in Windows 7 x64 with Vault Installed

Friday, October 30th, 2009

I have been using my new Windows 7 machine for the last few days and have hit a few problems getting things set up. Fortunately, I have managed to work around most of them. This was one of the first ones.

I was using Microsoft SQL Management Studio 2008. When I attempted to pop out the list of databases on a server in object explorer, I got the following error: –

“Unable to cast COM object of type ‘System.__ComObject’ to interface type ‘Microsoft.VisualStudio.OLE.Interop.IServiceProvider’. This operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COM component for the interface with IID ‘{6D5140C1-7436-11CE-8034-00AA006009FA}’ failed due to the following error: No such interface supported (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80004002 (E_NOINTERFACE)).”

After a little research, I found several pages with different solutions to the problem. A common thread is that it seems to involve SourceGear Vault Client (source control software). I suspect that this is only a problem for people who are using old versions of it (I’m using the spectacularly old version of 2.0.6!).

The solution which finally worked for me was to copy the Vault client folder, uninstall Vault, copy it back and make manual shortcuts. Then, in order to register it as a source control provider, I used the following registry file: –
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SourceCodeControlProvider]
"ProviderRegKey"="Software\\SourceGear\\Vault Client"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SourceCodeControlProvider\InstalledSCCProviders]
"SourceGear Vault Client"="Software\\SourceGear\\Vault Client"

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SourceGear]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SourceGear\Vault Client]
"SCCServerName"="SourceGear Vault Client"
"SCCServerPath"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\SourceGear\\Vault Client\\VaultIDE.dll"

To use a registry file, you need to copy and paste the code into a new notepad file and save it with a .reg extension. When you double click on it, Windows will ask if you want to add it to the registry. You may need to change your SCCServerPath before saving the file.

Thanks to Henrik Bruun’s post on this page for the registry fix.